Main Ingredients: Fine burghul (cracked wheat), kibbi meat, allspice (pimento), minced meat
Time Required: 3 hours
(1) Wash burghul under running water then soak in water for about 10 minutes. Drain then press to remove moisture as much as possible.
(2) Mash onion in the food processor then add minced meat in batches. Remove and place aside.
(3) Mix meat mixture with burghul, salt, allspice, and cinnamon. Process well in batches into a firm paste.
(4) Knead mixture with wet hands into a smooth paste.
(5) Put in refrigerator for 30 minutes covered with a piece of wet texture.
(6) Filling: Fry chopped onion with a dash of salt in shortening until transparent. Add minced meat, salt and spices to onions and fry until cooked. Mix in pine nuts. Put filling aside.
(7) Divide paste into egg sized balls Dip your hands in cold water then roll each ball between the palms of your hands until smooth.
(8) Make a hole in the middle with your forefinger. Work finger round in the hole until you have a shell of even thickness. Fill hole with filling mixture and close opening.
(9) Moisten with cold water to seal well and to shape with two pointed sides. If any breaks appear in shell, close with wet fingers.
(10) Place balls on a tray. Heat oil in a pan then fry till brown evenly and cooked.
(11) Serve kibbi hot with salads and yoghurt.