Main Ingredients: Osso Buco (cross-cut shanks), Red Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder, Garlic, Onions
Time Required: 1.0 hour
(1) Lay Osso Buco meat pieces flat in a pressure cooker. If you don’t have pressure cooker then see below for alternate way of cooking.
(2) Add red chilli, salt, onion, turmeric, oil, garlic and water.
(3) Close the lid and cook on high heat until the pressure cooker whistle starts blowing. Cook for another 12 minutes. Go to (5)
(4) If you don’t have pressure cooker then bring to boil and then cook on low heat for 45 minutes. Cover the pan with lid and make sure that the meat does not dry up by adding small quantities of water as required
(5) Remove the pressure cooker lid after releasing the excess pressure using the designated pressure valve. Reduce the heat to medium.
(6) Add ginger, green chilli and tomatoes.
(7) Add Garam Masala powder or make your own as follows. Grind following whole spices in a grinder: 5x Cloves, 8x Black Peppers, seeds of 1 Black Cardamom, 2cm piece of Cinnamon, 1 teaspoon Cumin, 1 teaspoon Corriander seeds.
(8) Cook and stir until oil seperates from rest of the ingredients and becomes clearly visible. This is the most critical stage since you need to stir frequently to prevent burning but at the same time make sure that meat pieces retain their round shape and don’t break up too much (hence the name Osso Buco Curry)
(9) Once the meat is cooked to your liking add 3/4 litre of boiling water and let simmer for a couple of minutes.
Serve with rice or flat bread/Naan