Main Ingredients: Chicken breast, chicken broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, flour, baking powder, almonds
Time Required: 1 hour
(1) Sprinkle chicken with salt and sherry and marinate for 15 minutes.
(2) While chicken is marinating, prepare the sauce. Mix together the cornstarch and water in a small saucepan until smooth. Gradually mix in the chicken broth, mushrooms (if using), chicken fat or butter, soy sauce, and bouillon granules.
(3) Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Let boil for 1 minute and keep warm.
(4) To prepare batter: Beat together the cornstarch, flour, baking powder, egg, and water until smooth. Coat each piece of chicken with the batter.
(5) Heat wok or a large skillet and add oil to a depth of 1/2-inch. Heat to 375 degrees fahrenheit (190 celsius).
(6) Cook coated chicken pieces in oil until they are golden, turning them once. This should take about 5 – 7 minutes. Drain the chicken on a tempura rack if you have one, or on paper towels.
(7) Cut the chicken diagonally into strips. Reassemble the strips into chicken breast shapes and place on a bed of shredded lettuce. Sprinkle with almonds and green onion. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve.